Saturday, August 20, 2011

Our Yard

One plant that is doing well this year is our dahlia's.  Last year, they were pitiful.  After digging them up this year and storing them in the garage, they did much better.  They are loaded with flowers.

 The front yard. It needs some serious help.  The whole front area next to the grass floods every time it rains, actually the whole thing floods.  Where the large rock is, we've killed two trees.
 Another view of the front.  I think I want to extend the grass a bit.  Our front flower bed is huge.
 The backside of our front bed.  Lots of moss growing here.  There used to be 2 rhodies, but they both died.  I want to add a bit more grass here too.
 The dahlia's are about the only thing thriving.
 The side flower bed. A lilac, a rhody, some black eyed susans, a dead rose bush, and a hydrangea.
 Another view of the side yard.
 The  back.  We got the deck done, but still have some work to do.
 Our shade bed.  I need to move the peony, it needs a new place, but it did bloom for the first time this year.
 The very back, we want to put a round stone patio here with some shade loving plants.
 Not sure what to do here.  We might build a planter box or extend the stairs. Looks funny right now.
 The other side yard, we've got some weeds I need to pull, a sickly roady, and a plant that bit the dust this spring.
 My hebe went crazy and then died back.  As soon as it's done blooming it getting a hair cut.  We also have a lilac and a rhody on this side.
 We attemped to plant along the fence, but nothing did well.  This is where we plan to add a swingset someday so I think we'll let the grass grow back in.

1 comment:

gina said...

Your yard is looking great, Amy! I can only give advice on how to look for the right plants for the right spot. King County has a great native plant search. Many native plants do VERY well in those temporary-flooded areas or winter-flooded areas. (http://green.kingcounty.gov/gonative/Plant.aspx?Act=search) Also, a book on shade plants: (http://www.amazon.com/Making-Most-Shade-Fabulous-Lightens/dp/1579549675) You are doing very well - keep up the good work!